Skip to main content

Talking Tamil

In class last week, we looked at two different interpretations on what it felt like to be an outsider society. We read Firoozeh Dumas's piece on what it meant to have a foreign name in America, and David Sedaris talked about how it felt to not understand French in a French class (with a scary teacher as well). I also feel that in some ways, I can relate to these two authors.

I grew up speaking Tamil, just as the rest of the members of my family had done. I never went to daycare like other children did, so my only exposure to English for the first four years of my life was the television. With this in mind, you can probably tell I never really had an American accent growing up. In fact, when watching old videos of myself, the first thing that stands out is the heavy Indian accent I had. I never really saw it as a bad thing. One thing you should know about me as a child is that I loved talking. I didn't care who I was talking to or what I was talking about, all I knew was that I was talking, and it was probably about why the T-Rex would beat a Spinosaurus in a fight (still salty about that one from Jurassic Park III), or about why the tiger was the king of the jungle. The point is, having an accent never really stopped me from talking.

Ten years later, and the situation became completely reversed. Long gone is my accent. I barely speak Tamil anymore. My parents talk to me in Tamil, and I simply respond to them in English. In a way, I definitely feel like Sedaris. I can understand the language, but speaking it is another beast on its own. I can still speak in Tamil, but many of my words have a palpable American accent to them. My speech is littered with grammatical mistakes that make me sub-conscious about whatever I'm saying. Whenever I go to India, I don't talk as much as I used to because I'm worried that they won't understand what I'm trying to say, or I don't even know how to communicate my point across. My parents tell me that I should just speak English to them, but I'm not sure how much of that they would understand either. It really is a very interesting predicament that I am forced into.

I wish that I simply had the ability to switch accents whenever I felt like it. When I'm speaking English, give me an American accent. Maybe I want to sound fancy that day? Give me one British accent to go please! When I'm speaking with my relatives, let me have a Tamil accent. That would be ideal. 

Tamil language - Wikipedia

Comments

  1. I really liked how you connected the pieces we read in class to personal experiences. I too wish that there was a way to instantly switch between languages and accents. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your style of writing.; it feels personal, and I really enjoyed the way you give personal anecdotes to help your audience relate. I also agree that the tiger is the true king of the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to you a lot. Another point I would probably bring up is how people may understand you differently the way you use an accent. If I speak in a complete American accent as I normally do, my relatives may have a hard time understanding me. I agree, though, it is an interesting predicament, having to respond in English when you can’t respond back in the same language as your parents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Cookie Cutter Model: Preying Off America's Weak

One eating environment that I grew up relatively familiar with was Burger King, the infamous "home of the Whopper." Before I continue with the rest of this piece, one thing I would like to praise Burger King for is its relative honesty. The moment you step into the front doorway, you get exactly what you are paying for. There's no sense of false pretentiousness about it. Take one look around, and you can immediately tell that you have stepped right into a microcosm of corporate America. You're greeted by the sight of workers and cashiers, many of whom are being forced to survive on the minimum wage. Take a peek into the kitchen and you can see, firsthand, the standardization of the food that will be served to you. Pop a patty on the grill and pull it out to serve the people. This process is repeated innumerable times every single day. In fact, it's repeated everywhere as well. Every Whopper made here, in Troy, Michigan, is the same as a Whopper made in Kenya or A...

Eggplant Curry

While basic math and science are often objective in what they describe, those two things might as well be the only objective facts in our universe. Everything else is subjective: it depends on the person taking everything in.  Perhaps the most subjective emotion experienced is humor. Everyone has their own sense of humor, and what I may find funny isn't necessarily going to make someone else laugh. I think one of the greatest examples might be with The Office . A lot of my friends say that this is one of the greatest and funniest shows they have ever watched, but personally, I don't get the hype. Do some episodes have interesting premises? Yeah, they do. But do I find it funny? Only sometimes. Most of the humor in that show is kind of hit or miss, at least in my opinion.  Anyways, back to what I wanted to write about for today's blog. My brother probably has the most unique sense of humor out of anyone I know. You can never understand why exactly he finds something to be fu...

This I Have Learned

"You can't ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving" - Paul Kalanithi  If there is one thing I found in high school, it's solace. Solace in the repetitive yet familiar layout of every school day. Solace in the supportive friends who collectively stress over the same classes. Solace in the words of Paul Kalanithi. As I first read When Breath Becomes Air,  I thought that author Paul Kalanithi was literally just like me. Only, he wasn't. He was everything that I wanted to be.  He was smart and successful.  He was in my dream job. He was rich (at least I think so, I mean which neurosurgeon isn't rich?). But perhaps what I most admired about him was his sense of mastery over remotely everything. There was nothing that he couldn't do. While his escapades in the art (science) of medicine were very exciting as someone whose dreams were to always dabble in the field of biology, what I truly fell in love...