Skip to main content

Kalanithi's Bento Box

 Hello. I can assure you that this is going to be one of the blogposts of all time.

Today, I'm going to write about When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. After reading this book, I gained a newfound appreciation for doctors. Don't get me wrong; I already had a high level of respect for doctors to begin with. I mean, after all, they are the most educated citizens in our country. But Kalanithi's perspective on life and his search for what makes life truly worth living is something philosophical. 


The (pretend like they're real) binoculars represent Kalanithi's search for the purpose of life. Throughout the novel, Paul was a meticulous planner, who carefully planned out a future for him and his wife, where he would be able to explore the worlds of both literature and neurology in order to find what made human life so special. Especially after getting diagnosed with cancer, Paul continued to make the most of his time left on the Earth by accomplishing his mission. 

The baby represents Paul's daughter, who he was only able to spend 8 months with. However, at this stage in Paul's life, the baby was all he needed. Some of his final words, the message he leaves behind to his daughter, is "do not, I pray, discount that you filled a dying man's days with a sated joy, a joy unknown to me in all my years prior." 

The feather, which is also present on the cover of the book, represents the "airiness" of how people perceive life. Life is compared to breathing is the title, as just like breathing, people treat life as if it's an automatic process. We never take the time to appreciate life, and instead, treat it as something for granted. It isn't until we're about to lose it that we truly appreciate just how great life is. 

Finally, the mallet represents the malleability of Paul. He is an adaptable man, and he constantly has to change plans and visions based on the road bumps that come along the way. He has gone through the pressures of being both a neurosurgeon, as well as a cancer patient, but even with these challenges, he comes out of them stronger than he was before. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This I Have Learned

"You can't ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving" - Paul Kalanithi  If there is one thing I found in high school, it's solace. Solace in the repetitive yet familiar layout of every school day. Solace in the supportive friends who collectively stress over the same classes. Solace in the words of Paul Kalanithi. As I first read When Breath Becomes Air,  I thought that author Paul Kalanithi was literally just like me. Only, he wasn't. He was everything that I wanted to be.  He was smart and successful.  He was in my dream job. He was rich (at least I think so, I mean which neurosurgeon isn't rich?). But perhaps what I most admired about him was his sense of mastery over remotely everything. There was nothing that he couldn't do. While his escapades in the art (science) of medicine were very exciting as someone whose dreams were to always dabble in the field of biology, what I truly fell in love...

Eggplant Curry

While basic math and science are often objective in what they describe, those two things might as well be the only objective facts in our universe. Everything else is subjective: it depends on the person taking everything in.  Perhaps the most subjective emotion experienced is humor. Everyone has their own sense of humor, and what I may find funny isn't necessarily going to make someone else laugh. I think one of the greatest examples might be with The Office . A lot of my friends say that this is one of the greatest and funniest shows they have ever watched, but personally, I don't get the hype. Do some episodes have interesting premises? Yeah, they do. But do I find it funny? Only sometimes. Most of the humor in that show is kind of hit or miss, at least in my opinion.  Anyways, back to what I wanted to write about for today's blog. My brother probably has the most unique sense of humor out of anyone I know. You can never understand why exactly he finds something to be fu...

The Cookie Cutter Model: Preying Off America's Weak

One eating environment that I grew up relatively familiar with was Burger King, the infamous "home of the Whopper." Before I continue with the rest of this piece, one thing I would like to praise Burger King for is its relative honesty. The moment you step into the front doorway, you get exactly what you are paying for. There's no sense of false pretentiousness about it. Take one look around, and you can immediately tell that you have stepped right into a microcosm of corporate America. You're greeted by the sight of workers and cashiers, many of whom are being forced to survive on the minimum wage. Take a peek into the kitchen and you can see, firsthand, the standardization of the food that will be served to you. Pop a patty on the grill and pull it out to serve the people. This process is repeated innumerable times every single day. In fact, it's repeated everywhere as well. Every Whopper made here, in Troy, Michigan, is the same as a Whopper made in Kenya or A...