Skip to main content

The Wheels on the Bus

     

     As I sat distant from the family, like I usually did, I watched my wife play with our son, the same way she did every night when she got back home. I took tiny, periodic sips of the frozen coffee that was left out on the countertop for at least a few hours now. My wife would never drink cold coffee. She never drank from home either, as she always picked up Starbucks right before and after work. In fact, she was rarely home. She was here to simply eat and sleep: her hours wouldn't permit otherwise.

    From what I could make out from the living room, the two were preparing for show and tell next week. I already knew what Evan would pick: The Wheels on the Bus. Day and night, I would sit there as a hostage, forced to listen to the incessant static of the decades-old radio as it blared out the same tune over and over again.

    "Jesse? Jesse!"

    I turned right to her, my neck titling towards her as rapidly as a bird would.

    "Falling asleep with your eyes open again? Anyways, Evan really wants to present The Wheels on the Bus in class next week, and I was wondering if you'd be able to give him a tour of your workplace tomorrow. So he can get the feels for what he loves, you know?"

    "Mhm sure," I nodded, as I returned to my state of slumber. 

    "The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round."

    Round. There was only so much I could tolerate of that word, droning on in the background of my house, slowly creeping its way into the foreground until it rings in my ears, reminding me of what my life has become. Round and round and round.  

***

    Dr. Graham had simply given his archetypal chuckle when I had talked to him about my life.

    "Jesse, you must start looking at the glass half full, not the one half empty. You have a great life in front of you: a great wife, a great kid, a ginormous house... I simply don't see why you need to work two jobs to pay off your student loans. Hell, your wife is a doctor, Jesse. Surely she can pay off your debts for you."

    I sighed and buried my head into my hands. He just didn't get it; he just didn't get me. I mean, charity? Did this man simply think I would let someone else take care of my business? Did he really expect me to get on my knees and beg my wife to pay for me? No. How dare he assume that I, Jesse Eindhoven II, would really le-

    "Jesse, I want you to look at what I've drawn over here. What is it?"

    "A circle."

    "Good. Now tell me, what is a circle?"

    "Round." 

    "Exactly! Perfect, you're doing very well. Now tell me Jesse, what do you think roundness represents?"

    "A cycle."

    "Yes Jesse! It represents a cycle of love, one of compassion! Your life is a cycle of love, buddy! You have so many great people looking after you, and so many who care about you. Who want to see you grow. Why throw it away, Jesse? Why give them the cold shoulder and pretend like it's you against the world? If you want to keep your little circle of love going, Jesse, you must feed into the cycle. You must give, but you also must receive. A cycle of love, Jesse. A cycle of love."

    I stared back at him, my eyes intent on his, observing the excitement that bounced cheek-to-cheek and the hearty smile plastered across his face. It was obvious he wanted me to agree. He wanted me to say Yes doc, I am totally cured now, thank you for the great advice! The longer I stared, the smaller the smile became, until it was replaced by a look of faint confusion. I finally made my move.

    "No. A cycle of despair."

***

    Evan bounced gleefully in his seat as I pulled up into the driveway of the garage, parking in the same spot I usually do. 8:04, the clock said. The same time I usually get here. As I walked toward bus forty-nine, the same one I drive every Saturday morning, Evan gazed up in amazement.

    "Wow, look dad! A real bus, a real bus!"

    "Yes. Now get in."

    Driving through suburban Tucson, I still could never differentiate the houses from one another, even though I drove this same route everyday. The same Pueblo facades and the same artificial lawns. The same artificial people who ignored the plights of others. The ones who treated me as an afterthought and never even looked at me. The ones who couldn't be bothered to grant me a simple "hello, how's your day?" The ones who-

    "Dad, dad, can you play can you play The Wheels on the Bus?"

    "Son, I don't think the other people on here would really like to hea-"

    "Pleaseeeee"

    I groaned and put the CD in, immediately greeted by the distinct voices that haunted me everyday. I tried ignoring it at first, but the voices soon surfaced back to the foreground again, making it too much to simply block out. I couldn't help but to subject myself to the repetition, the monotony...

    "The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round."

    Round and round and round. 

    Evan laughed and fell to the floor of the bus, as he sang joyously with the chorus. 

    I cried. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cookie Cutter Model: Preying Off America's Weak

One eating environment that I grew up relatively familiar with was Burger King, the infamous "home of the Whopper." Before I continue with the rest of this piece, one thing I would like to praise Burger King for is its relative honesty. The moment you step into the front doorway, you get exactly what you are paying for. There's no sense of false pretentiousness about it. Take one look around, and you can immediately tell that you have stepped right into a microcosm of corporate America. You're greeted by the sight of workers and cashiers, many of whom are being forced to survive on the minimum wage. Take a peek into the kitchen and you can see, firsthand, the standardization of the food that will be served to you. Pop a patty on the grill and pull it out to serve the people. This process is repeated innumerable times every single day. In fact, it's repeated everywhere as well. Every Whopper made here, in Troy, Michigan, is the same as a Whopper made in Kenya or A...

This I Have Learned

"You can't ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving" - Paul Kalanithi  If there is one thing I found in high school, it's solace. Solace in the repetitive yet familiar layout of every school day. Solace in the supportive friends who collectively stress over the same classes. Solace in the words of Paul Kalanithi. As I first read When Breath Becomes Air,  I thought that author Paul Kalanithi was literally just like me. Only, he wasn't. He was everything that I wanted to be.  He was smart and successful.  He was in my dream job. He was rich (at least I think so, I mean which neurosurgeon isn't rich?). But perhaps what I most admired about him was his sense of mastery over remotely everything. There was nothing that he couldn't do. While his escapades in the art (science) of medicine were very exciting as someone whose dreams were to always dabble in the field of biology, what I truly fell in love...

Eggplant Curry

While basic math and science are often objective in what they describe, those two things might as well be the only objective facts in our universe. Everything else is subjective: it depends on the person taking everything in.  Perhaps the most subjective emotion experienced is humor. Everyone has their own sense of humor, and what I may find funny isn't necessarily going to make someone else laugh. I think one of the greatest examples might be with The Office . A lot of my friends say that this is one of the greatest and funniest shows they have ever watched, but personally, I don't get the hype. Do some episodes have interesting premises? Yeah, they do. But do I find it funny? Only sometimes. Most of the humor in that show is kind of hit or miss, at least in my opinion.  Anyways, back to what I wanted to write about for today's blog. My brother probably has the most unique sense of humor out of anyone I know. You can never understand why exactly he finds something to be fu...