Skip to main content

Black on a Monday Morning


My mother always told me
to never start the week off
wearing black.
Why wear the colors of a widow
at the dawn of a new week?

And while the Grim Reaper
and the witch's cat
both masquerade in black,
has anyone ever thought 
to ask them why they do?

Perhaps it reminds them of late summer nights
surrounded by your closest friends
and family,
unaware of how rapidly time passes us by,
simply enjoying the moment we have.

Whenever I close my eyes, all I see is black.
But rather than fear and avoid it,
I welcome it with open hands, 
ready for it to momentarily whisk me away
from the growing pains I entangle myself in.

You see, black is like an empty canvas.
You can make of it however you so choose.

It can be oppressive
when i'm anxious and afraid 
of the world and of people and
of how they perceive me and how i fit in
and what did i do wrong this time and why
must i be like this and and and...

But it can also restore and heal,
or, at least,
I choose to believe it does.
For when I'm snug in bed,
ready to dose off to sleep,
it accompanies me. 
Someone to laugh with, smile with, 
reminisce with, cry with,
dream with.

So the next time my mother tells me 
not to wear my "inauspicious" black track pants
on a Monday morning, 
I want to remind her it's not all that bad.


While looking for a mentor poet I could study and learn from this semester, Ada Limón was one of the first names that caught my eye. Born in California to a family of artists and teachers, it's quite apparent to see where she found her love for learning and poetry. What I find endearing about her work is how her own values and experiences shine through her work, telling us the kind of person she is. While she was originally a highly successful marketer at Condé Nast, she ultimately decided after her stepmother's death from colon cancer that if she only had a few years left to live, she would spend all of it writing. Her poems focus on all the smaller things in life. 

In most of her poems, she is able to connect nature with the human emotion. In Would You Rather, she compares the emotional hardships of getting pregnant to the freedom of a seal. She questions if she would rather keep trying and putting up with daily ordeals or just leave everything behind and enjoy life from the naïve perspective of a seal. The poem's narrative structure allows us to better understand the melancholy mood of the speaker despite her escapades to extravagant places such as Isla Negra and the Golden Gate Bridge. 



In the poem that I wrote, I tried doing something similar to Limón, but rather than compare man and nature, I decided to look at all the emotions that color could evoke. While black is often associated with bad luck and loneliness, it also reminds me of late nights playing with my brother, as well as sleep: our only avenue to live out our dreams. I wanted to show the nuance behind the color and why I personally really like the color black. I tried using different writing styles to evoke different moods, such as a more frantic and "elementary" writing style when describing the racing of the mind during anxiety while using a more relaxed, mature tone when describing all the beauty that black allows you to see. 
290 PhotoShoot - Fashion Men ideas | fashion, men, mens fashion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This I Have Learned

"You can't ever reach perfection, but you can believe in an asymptote toward which you are ceaselessly striving" - Paul Kalanithi  If there is one thing I found in high school, it's solace. Solace in the repetitive yet familiar layout of every school day. Solace in the supportive friends who collectively stress over the same classes. Solace in the words of Paul Kalanithi. As I first read When Breath Becomes Air,  I thought that author Paul Kalanithi was literally just like me. Only, he wasn't. He was everything that I wanted to be.  He was smart and successful.  He was in my dream job. He was rich (at least I think so, I mean which neurosurgeon isn't rich?). But perhaps what I most admired about him was his sense of mastery over remotely everything. There was nothing that he couldn't do. While his escapades in the art (science) of medicine were very exciting as someone whose dreams were to always dabble in the field of biology, what I truly fell in love...

Eggplant Curry

While basic math and science are often objective in what they describe, those two things might as well be the only objective facts in our universe. Everything else is subjective: it depends on the person taking everything in.  Perhaps the most subjective emotion experienced is humor. Everyone has their own sense of humor, and what I may find funny isn't necessarily going to make someone else laugh. I think one of the greatest examples might be with The Office . A lot of my friends say that this is one of the greatest and funniest shows they have ever watched, but personally, I don't get the hype. Do some episodes have interesting premises? Yeah, they do. But do I find it funny? Only sometimes. Most of the humor in that show is kind of hit or miss, at least in my opinion.  Anyways, back to what I wanted to write about for today's blog. My brother probably has the most unique sense of humor out of anyone I know. You can never understand why exactly he finds something to be fu...

The Cookie Cutter Model: Preying Off America's Weak

One eating environment that I grew up relatively familiar with was Burger King, the infamous "home of the Whopper." Before I continue with the rest of this piece, one thing I would like to praise Burger King for is its relative honesty. The moment you step into the front doorway, you get exactly what you are paying for. There's no sense of false pretentiousness about it. Take one look around, and you can immediately tell that you have stepped right into a microcosm of corporate America. You're greeted by the sight of workers and cashiers, many of whom are being forced to survive on the minimum wage. Take a peek into the kitchen and you can see, firsthand, the standardization of the food that will be served to you. Pop a patty on the grill and pull it out to serve the people. This process is repeated innumerable times every single day. In fact, it's repeated everywhere as well. Every Whopper made here, in Troy, Michigan, is the same as a Whopper made in Kenya or A...